Thursday, July 07, 2005

Bustling Saint Louis

To say the least, our tango scene has been buzzing the past few months. So buzzing has it been that I had to take a break. We would have 3-4 milongas a week. Great, one would say. I would tend to agree if we were speaking of, say, Portland or Denver or Seattle or the likes. We are speaking of Saint Louis where the whole tango community is about 50 souls tops. Yes, we have newcomers and people who hang around for a while but the ones who really stick are not as numerous.

So I had a major burnout and had to get away right when Susana Miller was in town. From what I heard, there were about 40 people at her classes due to space limitations and the organizers had to close the registration completely a couple of days before the start of the workshop. Strangely, I don't feel that I missed that much.

Not to be critical of the folks from the community I belong to, but I just feel that the couple that organizers all the events are out to put Saint Louis on the map at any cost. While the intention is nice, the implementation leaves a lot to desire. First, they managed to turn a lot of people against them or at least made them stop wanting to help, by behaving like they were the gods of all. Then, they brought an asshole of a teacher (not my opinion but rather that of the followers that danced with the guy). They have brought him twice since and are bringing him again soon. They bring good teachers as well, I have to give them that. The ugly thing about them is the exclusivity. If they brought someone, noone else can bring that teacher anymore. Jeez, good luck maintaining friendly relationship with all of us! Everyone they bring, they bring for close embrace, even though some of the teachers have and can teach amazing open material (thank god they didn't get to Alex Krebs first!!!).

Anyways. I feel like this post went every possible direction and didn't have a single underlying idea besides the fact that I am at a loss for words when I see how poorly people do things and how easily they alienate themselves from others.

Gotta say though that people I hang with are super nice and all pretty good dancers. So if you pass Saint Louis on your way somewhere or go there on a job (it is an unlikely tourist destination), drop me a line and I'll be happy to introduce you to our little tango gang.

No comments: